The Red Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions

Go down 
+2
Linderel Silverbell
Esk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Esk
Innkeeper
Esk

Female
Number of posts : 546
Humor : Bossy
Registration date : 2008-01-28

The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions Empty
PostSubject: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Say a few words about the last book you read, what you think of it, discuss about other books mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
https://theredinn.forumotion.com
Linderel Silverbell
Contest winner
Linderel Silverbell

Female
Number of posts : 53
Humor : odd
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 am

The last book I finished reading was Silvana De Mari's L'Ultimo Elfo - a Finnish copy of it, to be exact. Italian is on my list of languages to hopefully learn some day, but as of yet, I don't know it.
Anyway. As perhaps deductable from the title, it is a fantasy novel. Fairly ordinary in all respects, though it did parody some of the clichés of the genre. I couldn't really decide whether it was supposed to be targeted at children or adult readers, as the writing often seemed so juvenile, something you would expect in a book meant for preteens and younger, and yet it at times dealt with concepts that a child may not be comfortable with. Can't really call it youth literature, either.
However, it was worth the read and probably worth the 7€ I spent on it, and provided me with many a giggle. Not sure if it is something I would recommend, but if you ever come across it in a library, go ahead, pick it up and see for yourself how you like it. If I had to give it a grade on a scale from 4 to 10... perhaps a 6 or 7.
Back to top Go down
trennas
Admin
trennas

Male
Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : Writer, Photographer, Pirate
Humor : I has it!
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:32 pm

I have just started reading Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.. the first chapter was a lot of fun, so I guess im gonna have a blast reading it entirely ^^ can't say too much about it now though Razz
Back to top Go down
Esk
Innkeeper
Esk

Female

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 pm

I just finished Pratchett's Moving Pictures it was lots of fun as he's mocking about Hollywood, Oscar, Paramount, King Kong, Gone with the Wind and some more references that I let you discover yourselves grin
Back to top Go down
Angel In Red
Newcomer
Angel In Red

Female
Number of posts : 36
Job/hobbies : Overseas Senior Administrator of a Training Company, my i sound posh. XDD
Humor : Itching to read new L.J Smith Book thats what.

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Boo,

Book I'm reading right now is called "Hide" by "Lisa Gardner."

It's your typical crime novel, I'm on the third chapter and It pains me to tear away my gaze from the book itself.

I love the quote on the book cover.

"I can't afford to come back from the dead."

Its based on a character called Annabelle, she finds herself declared dead in the newspapers.
Which made me go: Oooo! Aahh!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.elftown.com
Esk
Innkeeper
Esk

Female

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 am

Here's a list of books I've read and made reviews for:

• Terry Pratchett's Jingo
  • Anne Rice's Lasher
  • Terry Pratchett's The Fifth Elephant

I'll keep this up-to-date. Enjoy! Wink
Back to top Go down
Linn Scarlett
Newcomer
Linn Scarlett

Female
Number of posts : 33
Job/hobbies : Archaeologist
Humor : Bleak to Dark
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 3:10 am

Well technically speaking I am still reading it, but if you like a bit of sarcasm and thrill in your average semi-ghost story with emo as main character. Then you want to try "The Keep" by Jennifer Egan.

It's about a rather socially failed 36-year old who somehow was unable to crawl out of his emo/gothic phase. Everything starts out quite normal until his cousin, who he hasn't seen in over a decade, asks him to come to the middle of eastern Europe no where to help him refurbish a castle he bought and turn it into a luxury hotel. First the cousin turns out to be quite different from how Danny remembered him, and worse: his cousin has made a life for himself; succesful, rich, charismatic, married, in short everything Danny is not. When his satelite disc falls in the old pool where long ago twins drowned he's cut off from the outside world and things start going from strange to weird. A maiden in the window, an old crone of a baroness in the keep, germans with sinister plans and a cousin that's not telling him something.

I can't say much more, but I personally love it, even though I am not big on the ghost-story shebang. It's not to thick (a mere 250 pages) but I've read the first 100 in one sitting already! Try it, read the back, I am sure you'll like it! <3
Back to top Go down
Esk
Innkeeper
Esk

Female

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:20 pm

This year's resolution is to read 100 books. So here I go:

1. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
Richard, a banal person with a banal life (university, then a job in a corporation, a fiancée, goes to work every morning, does the same thing every weekend) decides to miss an important dinner in order to take care of the bleeding young girl laying on the stairs of the restaurant. This choice will totally change his life: his fiancée leaves him, people ignore him, no one at work seems to notice he's there, creepy assassins visit him, his appartment is put out for rent. This is how he finds out there is London Below, totally different from the London he knows. Given that nothing keeps him in normal London anymore, he decides to leave it behind and join his ex-guest, Door in the world below.

2. Giles Foden - The Last King of Scotland
The young doctor Nicholas Garrigan choses to practice abroad and is sent to Uganda, ruled at that time by the megalomaniac dictator Idi Amin Dada. "He relates how he came to be the personal physician and confident of Amin, the president of Uganda from his coup d'etat in 1971 until his deposition in 1979. The novel focuses on Garrigan's relationship and fascination with the president, who soon grows into a brutal and ruthless dictator. Garrigan acts repeatedly against his better judgment, remaining in Amin's employment until he is far past the point of easy escape physically or morally. He is gradually drawn into the corruption and paranoia of Amin's rule, including the expulsion of the Asians, with disastrous results for those around him." (from wikipedia, cause I'm too lazy to write a review)
Back to top Go down
loky
Newcomer

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 pm

right now i'm reading :"OCA:Oracle 10g™ Administration I Study Guide" grin
I'm gonna tell u how it ends soon.. still got 500 more pages dork
Back to top Go down
Esk
Innkeeper
Esk

Female

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:40 pm

3. José Frèches - The Empress of Silk (part 3 - The Usurping One)
A complicated trilogy taking place in Medieval China, quite interesting, but I say it would've been better if the writer had not concentrated everything in 3 tiny books.

4. J. K. Toole - The Neon Bible
"The novel is a bildungsroman about a young man named David, growing up in rural Mississippi during the late 1930s to early 1950s, and gradually learning of religious, racial, social and sexual bigotry."
Great writing, one of the best books of this year.

5. Ryu Murakami - In the Miso Soup
Kenji, a young Japanese works as guide for tourists in Tokyo, but not an usual guide: he is the favourite of those that prefer red light districts to historic monuments. Few days before the New Year's Eve, he is hired for 3 days by a client just like the other: a middle aged American named Frank, in Japan for business, that wants to have fun. Soon enough, Kenji becomes more and more anxious due to his employer's weird behaviour, which he thinks he can relate to the day's news about gruesome murders. When Frank massacres the clients of a hostess bar under Kenji's eyes, a game of cat and mouse between the two men begins.

6. Berhnard Hennen - The Elves (part one)
During a hunt, Mandred's companions are killed by a boar-headed creature. Escaped by miracle, he wakes up in the land of the Elves and believes they are to be blamed about what happened. The queen Emerelle offers her help in change of Mandred's first born and the Hunt of the Elves starts. Little did they know about the creature's real identity...

7. Françoise Sagan - Bonjour tristesse (Hello Sadness)
"Seventeen-year-old Cécile spends her summer in a villa on the French Riviera with her father and two other women. Her father, Raymond, is a seductive man who has had many affairs. Among his women friends is Elsa Mackenbourg: she and Cécile get on well. When Elsa comes to the villa to spend her summer with Raymond, it is clear that she is the latest of many women whom Cécile has seen enter the life of her father and exit fairly quickly: young, superficial, and fashionable.

Raymond, Elsa and Cécile are spending an uneventful summer together until Anne Larsen arrives by way of an earlier invitation from Cécile's father. A friend of Cécile's late mother, Anne is very different from Raymond's other girlfriends. She is cultured, educated and intelligent. At first, Cecile admires Anne, but soon a struggle begins between Cécile and Anne for Raymond's attention. The plot begins to focus on the relationship between the two women. When Anne announces that she and Raymond are planning to get married, Cécile devises a plan to prevent the marriage from taking place." (wikipedia)
Not bad for a novel written at the age of 18, it surprised me.

8. Haruki Murakami - The Elephant Vanishes
A collection of several short stories.
"Stylistically and thematically, the collection aligns with Murakami's previous work. The stories mesh normality with surrealism, and focus on painful issues involving loss, destruction, confusion and loneliness. The title for the book is derived from the final story in the collection." (wikipedia)

9. Yasunari Kawabata - Palm-of-the-hand Stories
"more than 140 short stories he wrote over his long career, the earliest published in the 1920 and the last appearing posthumously in 1972. The stories are characterized by their brevity, some less than a page long, and their dramatic concision." (wikipedia)

10. Robin Hobb - Royal Assassin (part 5)
Fritz pursuits his road towards the mountains, seeking for his king. I can't say more so I don't spoil the pleasure of other readers of the series Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions   The last book I read  - reviews, comments, questions Empty

Back to top Go down

The last book I read - reviews, comments, questions
Page 1 of 1